GREEN UNIT NEWSLETTER
Week beginning Sunday 2nd September 2018
|Sunday 2nd||Sunday Swimming and PE lessons cancelled
International Dot Day (Inf & Jun – whole week)
Student Pack sent to parents (email)
|Monday 3rd||International Dot Day (Inf & Jun – whole week)|
|Tuesday 4th||International Dot Day (Inf & Jun – whole week)|
|Wednesday 5th||International Dot Day (Inf & Jun – whole week)
Welcome back assembly (senior and SWS students)
Welcome back assembly (Infant and junior students)
New parents welcome/introductory meeting
5.30pmThursday 6th International Dot Day (Inf & Jun – whole week)
Saturday 8th Uniform shop open 8.30am – 1.00pm
Quote of the week
“The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you’re not going to stay where you are.” —John Pierpont “J.P.” Morgan
Green Unit updates
- My sincere thanks to all TAs for their positive attitude and hard work. When we arrived to school on 25th of August most areas needed urgent attention and I have to say, all jobs were completed quickly and efficiently.
- I would also like to thank our nannies, Vinita and Shiny for their superb work.
- Overall, I am truly impressed with the very smooth start we have had this year. All classrooms are well organised and I am sure students will enjoy their first week at school. Excellent team work!
- 9 GU senior students sat their external IGCSE/GCSE in May/June 2018. They achieved some pleasing results, particularly in Arabic & Mathematics GCSE. Congratulations to Farah Abdulsalam, Sarah Al Ossaimi, Bashaer Al Shammari and Shamayel Al Ali who attained A* in Arabic GCSE. Special thanks to Mrs. Zarrina (Mathematics), Mrs. Huda (Arabic), Miss Dominique (English), Mr. Les (Business Studies) and other staff members who worked very hard to prepare our students.
International Dot Day (infants and juniors/whole week)
- International Dot Day, a global celebration of creativity, courage and collaboration, began when teacher Terry Shay introduced his classroom to Peter H. Reynolds’ book The Dot on September 15, 2009.
- The Dot is the story of a caring teacher who dares a doubting student to trust in her own abilities by being brave enough to “make her mark”. What begins with a small dot on a piece of paper becomes a breakthrough in confidence and courage, igniting a journey of self-discovery and sharing, which has gone on to inspire countless children and adults around the globe.
New Parents Welcome Meeting – Wednesday 5th September at 5.30 pm
- This year we will hold an introductory meeting for all new parents. Parents were already informed and invited to attend the meeting via email. Form tutors/class teachers must double check with students/parents so we can confirm seat numbers.
- Some students may not be wearing the correct school uniform in the first week. We usually allow a couple of days so everyone has time to complete all items, however, please try to ensure your child has the right uniform as soon as possible. The uniform shop will be open on Saturday 1st September to accommodate our working parents. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
- Student pack including all essential information will be sent to all parents by email on Monday 3rd September. I would strongly encourage parents to read information carefully before signing in the reply form. Section C of the student pack contains outline of our departmental rules as well as information on disciplinary procedures, school rewards and sanctions
New Child Protection and Safeguarding Laws
- We have received a copy of the new Child Protection and Safeguarding laws issued by the Kuwaiti Government. I will ensure we have extra hard copies available in the reception for your information.
- We are planning to invite Doctor Ghassan Al Othman to explain new regulation to our parents later in term 1.
GU calendar updates – September
- GU welcome assembly (seniors & SWS) – 4th September
- GU welcome assembly (infants & juniors) – 6th September
- GU New parents meeting – 5th September at 5.30 pm
- Islamic New Year Holiday – 11th September (tbc)
- GU parental workshop – technology ( School Portal, E-safety) part 1 School Portal – 17th September at 5.30 pm
- GU parental workshop – technology (Chromebooks & Google classroom) part 2 – 18th September at 5.30 pm
- GU IGCSE/GCSE introductory meeting – 25th September at 5.30 pm
- GU Parental workshop – Behaviour modification strategies – – 25th September at 5.30 pm
- GU Term 1 clubs start – 30th September
- GU Parental workshop – Arabic curriculum part 1- 1st October
- GU Parental workshop – Arabic curriculum part 2 & Islamic Studies – 2nd October