Kuwait English School Green Unit is an innovative and forward-thinking Special Educational Needs provision which offers education for students who experience learning disabilities and difficulties [LDD]. It aims to be the best Special Education provider where students can thrive and fully develop their cognitive, social and emotional skills in order to take a full, active and responsible role in their local community and beyond as Global Citizens and Ambassadors for students with SEND.
The Green Unit is situated alongside the main school and is set on three levels, one for each department as follows:
- INFANT & JUNIOR LEARNING SUPPORT CLASSES (ages 6 to 12 / Early Years Foundation Stage, Key stage 1 and 2)
Students follow Mainstream Primary Curriculum modified to their individual educational needs and are working towards National Curriculum Key Stage 1 and 2.
- SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL LEARNING SUPPORT CLASSES (ages 12 to 21/ years 7 to 12/ KS3/KS4)
Students follow modified Mainstream Curriculum and are working towards External Examinations (IGCSE/GCSE) & the ASDAN Award.
- SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL LEARNING SUPPORT CLASSES consists of
- Lower Senior, including vocational classes – year 7 & 8
- Upper seniors – year 9, 10 and 11 Year 12 is offered only to students who are exceptionally gifted and talented. They will be invited to attend mainstream classes in specific subjects and focus on AS/ALevel programme.
The Green Unit has its own garden, computer suite, music room, a student kitchen as well as a Sixth Form common area for older students working towards external examinations. Students regularly use facilities in the main school building where they attend PE and swimming lessons and access the senior library.
Green Unit students integrate into the main school for break times, school-wide events as well as a selection of extra-curricular activities. Students showing independence, excellent behaviour and particular talent in specific subjects are also able to attend classes in the main school for some subjects, including: IGCSE / GCSE, AS and A level subjects, depending on ability.
We aim to offer a holistic education for our learners in a caring and supportive environment, encouraging each student to fulfill their own individual potential.
Kuwait English School Green Unit delivers the full EYFS & National Curriculum with externally accredited qualified subject specialist teachers who are experienced in working with students with special educational needs.
The curriculum is planned, delivered and assessed at a pace and level appropriate to individual needs.
The unit has an overall staff: student ratio of 1:3 which ensures that teaching groups are smaller in size [varying from 1:4 to 1:12]. As a result, our staff are able to deliver a curriculum that includes developing positive relationships, self-esteem, confidence and the social/emotional skills to prepare students for both successful participation in their community, access to further education and/or the workplace. The Green Unit ensures that lessons are inspiring, – and students are always challenged and encouraged to reach their full potential.
The Green Unit prides itself on the quality of pastoral care and support available to students, which is key to our philosophy that every child matters. The quality of relationships and trust between staff, parents and students is central to our aim that the provision is supportive, safe, stimulating, challenging and individually targeted to ensure that all students achieve high educational standards relative to their ability.
Our educational programme has resulted in continued improvements in examinations which is evident in our progress. Although our pastoral programme is extensive, student wellbeing, resilience and self-esteem has only been positively impacted.
Reports from the BSO inspections 2016 and 2019 stated
- ‘The quality of teaching and assessment in the Green Unit is excellent.
- ‘High quality, inclusive teaching ensures that planning and implementation meets the needs of all students and builds on the high expectations made for all students
- The attainment and progress made by students in the Green Unit, from their individual starting
points, is excellent.
- The quality of teaching overall is good, with outstanding teaching and assessment in the EYFS and KS1, KS5 and the Green Unit.